1795 South Amherst as part of the Connecticut Western Reserve is sold to the Connecticut Land Company by the State of Connecticut for $1.2 million.
1808 The first mail route from Cleveland to Maumee goes through the area on foot, then later on horseback.
1813 During the War of 1812 a road is put in between Ridgeville and Florence, later to be named South Ridge Road. Currently Route 113.
1814 Reuben Webb and his family arrived and settled on South Ridge Road in 1815.
1815 First death in the township was a Webb child who was buried in the Webb family cemetery. Many years later the Webb family cemetery would need to be relocated to Evergreen Cemetery due to road construction.
1817 South Amherst is now in Black River Township, Huron County.
1818 Captain Eliphalet Redington arrived and settled on South Ridge Road at the center of South Amherst. He built the first sawmill. He brought industry, commerce, education, legal and government offices and presence into the new lands.
1820 The first post office was established in South Amherst. The post office is named Brooks and Eliphalet Redington is Postmaster. The 1820 census shows 110 people from 18 families living along South Ridge Road. The first school on South Ridge Road is taught by Sophronia Blair.
1824 The Methodist Episcopal Church in South Amherst is formed. The Brooks Post Office becomes the Black River P.O. Eliphalet Redington is still Postmaster.
1827 The first stagecoach goes through South Amherst on a regular schedule between Cleveland and Lower Sandusky.
1830 By special act of the Ohio legislature, Black River Township is divided in two and a new township is formed. Jonas Stratton suggests the name of Amherst for the new township. The Black River Post Office is renamed Amherst Post Office with Eliphalet Redington as postmaster. The Bryant family from England settles in the South Amherst area. First burial in Pioneer Cemetery, also known as “Old Village Cemetery.”
1834 The Congregational Church in South Amherst is organized.
1837 South Amherst has one store, two taverns, and 15 or 20 dwellings in the area.
1838 Congregational Church was built.
1842 A new Methodist Church was built on land donated by Jonas and Lucy Stratton.
1847 Sandstone which had been quarried in the township since 1818 is now being quarried for large commercial sales.
1852 H.B. Bryant, and his brother-in-law, H.D. Stratton from South Amherst organize the Bryant and Stratton Mercantile College in Cleveland, Ohio.
1857 South Amherst has two blacksmith shops, one store, one wagon shop, and 20 to 30 homes.
1868 The Cleveland Stone Company begins operations.
1874 South Amherst has a store, post office, blacksmith, harness shop, shoe shop, and carriage shop along with steam sawmill, cheese factory and about 30 homes.
1887 A two-story frame school building east of the Congregational Church is moved and a one-room stone schoolhouse is built in its place.
1888 The German Evangelical Church is organized. The church was built in 1901. The church is now known as St. John’s United Church.
1889 Wm. H. Bryant, owner of the Turkey Rock Quarry, received a patent for a channeling machine and begun manufacturing of the machines.
1891 The Swiss Lodge of South Amherst was organized as a fraternal group.
1895 The Knights and Ladies of Security Council #265 is instituted as a fraternal insurance group. Dr. Harry Webster Powers was South Amherst’s first resident physician.
1903 The Ohio Quarries Company is organized. It employs 400 quarrymen and ships 6,000 rail carloads of stone a year out of Buckeye Quarry.
1910 An eight-room sandstone schoolhouse is built for grades 1 through 8.
1918 The village of South Amherst is incorporated. Fred Ruth serves as the first Mayor.
1920 The Soldier’s Memorial is placed in front of the Town Hall is dedicated to the area soilders on Decoration Day. Donated by the stonecutter and citizens of South Amherst
1922 Quarry Road north of South Ridge Road was moved to the East so the Buckeye Quarry could be enlarged. The Buckeye Quarry became the deepest sandstone quarry in the world. A sandstone addition to the eight-room school building is completed and used as the high school.
1923 South Amherst High School had its first High School Graduation.
1933 The Nativity B.V.M. Catholic Church was organized in an unused stone schoolhouse at Quarry and South Ridge Road.
1934 A stone fire station is built next to the Village Hall.
1936 South Amherst has 2 grocery stores, 2 restaurants. 1 meat market. 2 gas stations, 1 repair garage, 1 barber shop, 1 schoolhouse, 4 churches, and 2 lodges (Swiss & Hungarian).
1945 American legion Post #197 purchased the Old Stone School House for Legion Home.
1950 Barber Shop opens at 5-E Main by J.R. "Rex" Pierce. "James Delicatessen" opens in store formerly owned by Mr. and Mrs. Siess.
1957 South Amherst School third addition finished.
1964 New South Amherst Elementary School built.
1971 Town Population at 2,913. Lawrence Knoble, Mayor.
1972 Voters approved bond issue to build new gymnasium.
1988 South Amherst School merged with Firelands Local School District.
1989 New Town Hall ready to house Police Department, offices for Mayor, and Council Chambers.
1993 Longtime Police Chief, Thomas Snizek retires. 1946-1993
2005 Trans European Securities International plans 1.25 billion quarry complex.
2007 Stuart Lichter buys quarries.
2012 South Amherst welcomed a crowd of over 13,000 athletes ready to compete in a 12 mile endurance event known as the Tough Mudder.
2015 Village Clerk theft in office $677,000.
2017 South Amherst Historical Society organized.
2018 First Ohio Historical Marker featuring the original Town Hall installed and donated by the South Amherst Historical Society and American Legion Post # 197.
2020 South Amherst has 10 businesses, 6 churches and 683 homes.
2022 South Amherst School closed and sold, all students moved to new school at Firelands.